SD card is a popular data storage media widely used in Android phones, digital cameras, camcorders, and more. If the SD card is damaged, then the host device like Phone can’t access and read the files and data on it. Worse still, some of precious data may get lost because of SD card error.
Don’t worry, damaged SD card recovery is not that much difficult. This tutorial introduces three ways to help you easily recover lost photos, videos and other files/data from damaged or corrupted SD card. Learn how to fix damaged SD card without data loss.
Fix #1: Recover Corrupted SD Card with CHKDSK
If you receives this message “SD card is damaged. Try reformatting it”. Don’t format the SD card at once if you don’t want all the SD card data get lost.
The first thing you need to do is to stop using this SD card immediately since you may suffer permanent data loss due to data overwriting.
If you’ve connected the SD card with PC USB port by using a USB card reader, but the SD card can’t be accessed, try to use another USB card reader or computer. If the result is the same, try the following fixes.
Unless the SD card is physically damaged, you can figure out some free ways to try to fix the phone SD card errors without formatting. Below is the detailed steps for how to recover corrupted SD card with Windows CHKDSK command.
- Insert the damaged SD card into a USB card reader and plug it into computer USB port.
- Click This PC to find out the drive letter your computer assigns to the detected SD card.
- Then click Start and type cmd. Click Command Prompt to open Windows cmd.exe.
- If the Run as administrator window pops up, click OK.
- At last, type the command line: chkdsk g: /f /r, and hit Enter button. Replace “g” with the SD card drive letter you just checked in This PC. And please do not forget the spaces in the command line.
- Wait patiently to let CHKDSK scan and fix the file system errors or possible bad sectors on the SD card.
Aside from Windows CHKDSK command, you can also use Windows built-in Error Checking tool to check the SD card drive for any file system errors.
- You can use a USB card reader to connect the SD card with computer.
- Click This PC. Right-click the target SD card drive and choose Properties.
- Tap Tools. Click Check icon to start checking the drive for file system errors.
Fix #2: Recover Data/Files from Damaged SD Card
If the Windows CHKDSK cmd and Error checking can’t help you with the damaged SD card recovery, you can use MiniTool Power Data Recovery Free to recover data from SD card.
This professional free SD card recovery software is capable of retrieving accidentally deleted files from SD card, and recover lost data from damaged SD card, accidentally formatted SD card, or other SD card data loss cases.
It can recover deleted files or lost data from micro SD card of various brands like SanDisk, Samsung, Kingston, Transcend, Sony and more.
The easy damaged SD card data recovery steps are as follows:
- Connect SD card with PC by using USB SD card reader.
- Free download and install 100% clean MiniTool Power Data Recovery Free on your Windows 10/8/7 PC, and launch it.
- In the main interface, you can click Removable Disk Drive and choose the target SD card. Click Scan.
- After the drive scanning process is finished, you can check all the found files to tick what you need, and click Save button to recover deleted files or lost data from corrupted SD card.
- Advanced options including Show Lost Files, Find, and Filter are provided for users to quickly find the needed files.
Fix #3: Format the Corrupted SD Card
After you’ve recovered all deleted or lost files from damaged SD card with the best free data recovery software, you can optionally choose to format the corrupted SD card to see if it can normally work again.
As for formatting corrupted SD card, generally you have three ways: using Windows CMD, using Windows Disk Management, third-party SD card formatter.
How to Format Corrupted SD Card with CMD
To format the damaged SD card using CMD, you can firstly enter into Windows DiskPart utility.
You can click Start on PC, type cmd, and choose Command Prompt, then you will open Windows Command Prompt window.
Next you can type diskpart and hit Enter, then Windows DiskPart tool will open in a new window.
Then you can type the following command lines one by one to format corrupted SD card. After typing each command line, you should hit Enter button to execute the operation.
Please replace “*” in the command line with the specific letter of the target disk or partition.
Here we take formatting corrupted SD card to FAT32 as an example. You can also format the SD card to NTFS, by replacing the command line “format fs=fat32 quick” with “format fs=ntfs quick”.
- list disk
- select disk *
- list partition
- select partition *
- format fs=fat32 quick
How to Format Corrupted SD Card with Disk Management
Windows Disk Management tool can also format the damaged SD card.
You can press both Windows and R keys on the keyboard and then type diskmgmt.msc in the RUN window.
Then you can right-click the partition on the corrupted SD card and choose Format, and set a file system for the formatting SD card like FAT32 or NTFS.
Third-party SD Card Formatting Software
Third-party free SD card formatters like MiniTool Partition Wizard Free can also help you format corrupted SD card to FAT32, NTFS, exFAT, FAT12/16, ext2/3/4, etc.
If the SD card is damaged, generally you can take these three moves to recover corrupted SD card. You can firstly carry out the damaged SD card recovery process by using Windows CHKDSK, next recover data/files from SD card with professional free data recovery software if some data is lost, in the end, try to reformat the corrupted SD card if you need.